Friday, June 28, 2013

The Reading Challenge and space elevators

Goodreads has set me a challenge. Dully but practically called The Reading Challenge. Can you hear the rising crescendo of music that appears every time 'The' with a capital 'T' is used? Or is that in my mind?

Technically I set myself the challenge, but that was my past self, my January self. Since then I have discarded many skin cells, some brain cells (I hit my head - stabbed it, actually, into the edge of a wooden shelf) and have changed my mind about many things many times. Since that self exists only in memory and in my use of the site over time, Goodreads henceforth takes responsibility for my questionable choices. Precedence!

No, don't read that again! The logic is like rock, but not the kind you mine through. Just accept the conclusion on faith. This is a turning point in our relationship. Pseudo-relationship.

This past self of mine decided that I would read 1 book a week or 52 books this year. (Scoff not, you - think of me next time you pile your plate with more than you can eat!) Then Game of Thrones happened. Somewhere in the middle of that Agaat happened. Note to self: when entering a reading challenge, choose the short books, not tomes of 1 000 pages and more.

According to my rock-like logic, I am in February 2013. Which is great because February is my favourite month. Except that *revelation and more crescendoing* it's June. Not for much longer, but let's not think about that.

Just before I started this post, I discovered you can change the number of books your past self foisted on you. I am not a quitter. Ok, well, I am, but first I like to make the journey painful so that when I quit, my memory of my past self doesn't make me feel so bad. Instead, I shall read like... a voracious reader in the hopes of catching up those four months.

Shush. It's my plate and I can pile it to the moon if I want. No, actually, I can't. Not physically. Not until Google X or LiftPort or someone builds that elevator. The ceiling, then.

And if I don't make it... Will I crawl into a foetus-like ball and rock awkwardly? Will I run down the highway hysterically? Will I do something silly like invest in a crowdfunded space elevator? No. At the very last minute, I shall click on 'Update' and change the number to slightly less than I have read. The definition of cheating is all in how you view the problem.

No comments: