Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I am going to be a Data Capturer

A bibliophile really has no place working in book publishing. I think it's like an animal lover working in a butchery. A book is a product in the world of book publishing. In my world, a book is an icon, in the religious sense. So, watching a book being made is like watching an animal being skinned and then carved up, or an icon being descrated. Even worse, I'm the one with the knife. I say things like "There's no time to make that right so leave it" and "Is it really worth the cost of making that change?"

So, I think I'm going to be a data capturer. I am not sure that this is a valid profession. But there is data, and it needs to be captured, so I'm assuming this is done by some semi-comatose person punching at a keyboard. I can do semi-comatose.

2 comments:

Tyrone said...

And?

Camilla said...

And, dammit, I'm still in publishing. I have this inability to let go. And this weird obsession with books. Heaven help me.