Thursday, November 18, 2010

"If Kelsey Newman's theory about the end of time is true..." I will have enough time to read every book on my list

Browsing through the local bookshop at lunch, I saw Scarlett Thomas's latest, Our Tragic Universe. When I first read The End of Mr Y, I loved it, although now I think perhaps there is just too much pop-science with very little substance. This amendment to my opinion might have something to do the second novel of hers I read, called Popco. That one just didn't hold together very well - I would like to say that it lacks direction, but it does have a direction, just not a very interesting one.

I'm intrigued by the blurb of Our Tragic Universe, but more specifically by this line: "If Kelsey Newman's theory about the end of time is true, we are all going to live forever." So, more pop-science then. And oh I do love pop-science (no sarcasm intended although it is here somehow). But the first paragraph let me down. It reads like something a talented high school student might write with some coaching, rather than something written by an experienced author. Read it for yourself and see.

To add to this, as much as I love the original cover idea, it seems a little staid - especially since the world and her mother have since used the same idea. They seem to have made some effort to update it through the colours, and it definitely jumped off the shelf at me, but something about it still bores me. Perhaps I will feel differently when I finish reading it?

No comments: